6.1 kernel unable to find /dev ?

Gary Palmer gpalmer at freebsd.org
Wed Jun 7 00:17:54 UTC 2006

Brian Tao wrote:

>On Sun, 4 Jun 2006, Gary Palmer wrote:
>

>>On Sat, Jun 03, 2006 at 11:35:29PM -0400, Brian Tao wrote:
>>

>>>    errno 8 is ENOEXEC and 13 is EACCES... but:
>>>

>>Silly question: /sbin/init has the "x" flag set, correct?  It should be
>>mode 0500 (i.e. -r-x------)
>>

>    Yep...
>
># ls -ld / /sbin /sbin/init
>drwxr-xr-x  21 root  wheel     512 Jun  3 21:43 /
>drwxr-xr-x   2 root  wheel    2560 May  4 18:05 /sbin
>-r-x------   1 root  wheel  582560 May  4 18:05 /sbin/init
>
>    This is the same /sbin/init that the 6.0 kernel has no problems
>executing, but the 6.1's do (if booting into "safe" or noacpi mode).

Hi Brian,

The only other thing I can suggest is to boot single user and run a
manual full fsck incase the metadata is confused somehow.  Also it might
be worthwhile checking that the MBR and partition tables are sane.
Assuming that when you added the drives, you didn't change the kernel
until after you started having problems, the only thing I can figure is
there was some minor corruption somewhere.

Regards