Requesting advice for panic: vm_thread_new: kstack allocation failed

Lonnie Olson fungus at aros.net
Mon Jun 5 18:00:28 UTC 2006

I currently have a problem that others have had before, but no one
actually did anything to explain or help.

I have a mail server that is often under high load.  It panics about
every day or two with "vm_thread_new: kstack allocation failed".  I
have a dump, but I doubt it is necessary as the details of this
problem have been documented many times before.

threads/80435: panic on high loads
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-threads/2005-April/
003025.html
No resolution because reporter wasn't running -STABLE.

panic: vm_thread_new: kstack allocation failed
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-current/2006-March/
061544.html
No discussion about it other than testing methods.

FreeBSD 5.4-P12 Panic "vm_thread_new: kstack allocation failed" under
load
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-questions/2006-March/
116290.html
Just a "pass the buck" comment about upgrading to 6.1

I *am* running 6-STABLE.  I have had this particular panic since 5.4-
RELEASE.
I am using an SMP kernel with only this change to fix a different
kernel panic before.
   options VM_KMEM_SIZE_MAX=419430400
The machine is a dual AMD Opteron w/ 2G memory.  I have another
identical machine that this also occurs on but less frequently as it
does not have as high of a load.
I have tested every piece of hardware as best as I can, especially
the memory.

I have been fighting this issue for months now.  I am about to give
up and go back to FreeBSD 4.x.  I am looking for suggestions now.

1. What does this panic really mean?
2. Any ideas for a work around?  (kernel options, patches, anything)
3. Would a bug report actually get anywhere? (bad experiences in the
past, 93809)