xorg build failed

Wayne Sierke ws at au.dyndns.ws
Sun Jun 4 11:06:59 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-06-04 at 21:29 +1200, Kaiwai Gardiner wrote:
> One would ask as to why xorg has failed to compile, and it appears no
> one else here has experienced the same issue; hence the reason I
> suggested a clean removal of installed ports and a vanilla compile of
> it.
>
> I've updated my ports from the cvs, and haven't experienced an xorg
> compilation issue - I compile from the standard /usr/ports/x11/xorg
> location, and I don't see to suffer the same issues - co-incidence or
> simply being boring with the locating of things has saved me from
> compilation problems?
>
> Matty

If the OP's problem is merely a result of using WRKDIRPREFIX then
something is buggy and needs attention. As mentioned in man ports, it
can be useful if /usr/ports is on a read-only filesystem, e.g. cdrom.
Another reason, for which I've used it, is if there is insufficient free
space for the temporary work files in /usr/ports.

Perhaps a more useful comment would by why you think /var/tmp could be a
"weird", or rather a problematic, location?

For the OP: Is there anything significant about your /var/tmp? (Does it
have enough free space? Is it mounted noexec, etc.?)

Wayne