ncplogin panic

ejc eric.j.christeson at gmail.com
Mon Jul 31 19:15:35 UTC 2006

I am having a problem getting ncplogin to work on my 6.1-stable
system.  When I run ncplogin I get the following panic (hand
transcribed):

cpuid = 1; apic id = 01
fault virtual address           = 0x0
fault code                      = supervisor write, page not present
instruction pointer             = 0x20:0xc052d0a7
stack pointer                   = 0x28:0xc6021a98
stack frame                     = 0x28:0xc6021ab4
code segment                    = base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
                                = DPL 0, pres 1, def32 1, gran 1
processor eflags                = interrupt enabled, resume, IOPL = 0
current process                 = 863 (ncplogin)
trap number                     = 12
panic: page fault
cpuid = 1

I tried to get a good core dump, but am failing at that also.  Setting
hw.physmem="64M" (or 128M, 256M, 512M or 1024M) results in the machine
becoming unresponsive before it starts to dump anything.  It prints
"Dumping XXMB (2 chunks) and then hangs until I hit the power switch.
I got one core dump with the full 2G of memory enabled, but kgdb
couldn't use it.
One other thing to note is that this is with an SMP kernel.  A uni
kernel doesn't dump core, but is still unable to connect to our novell
server.  I know this report is rather sparse, but I don't have much to
go on.  I have attached a dmesg dump and will try to provide any other
information if someone is willing to help.

Thanks
Eric