Monitoring temperature with acpi (sysctls)

David Duchscher daved at tamu.edu
Sun Jul 30 16:55:52 UTC 2006

On Jul 28, 2006, at 8:38 PM, Nikolas Britton wrote:

> On 7/26/06, David Duchscher <daved at tamu.edu> wrote:
>>
>> Yes, the Supermicro PDSMi supports the IPMI 2.0 module and I can
>> confirm that it works with the IPMI ported driver from current on
>> 6.1.  The module is optional so you will have to purchase one for
>> the system, around 0. You will also need the latest BIOS loaded on
>> the motherboard for it to work.
>>
>> http://www.supermicro.com/products/accessories/addon/AOC-IPMI20-E.cfm
>>

> What about their other IPMI 2.0 cards:
> http://www.supermicro.com/products/accessories/addon/SIM.cfm
>
> Specifically the AOC-SIMLP? and what ported IPMI driver are we talking
> about? Also does anyone have an IPMI primer, I've never used it
> before?

I haven't used the cards listed there so I can really comment on
how well they work or if they work.  I would assume the cards with
their own ethernet jack will work no matter what OS is on the system.
The problems that have cropped up with the integrated or add-in
modules is that the OS network driver can cut off access to the
IPMI module.  For example, the IPMI module with the bge driver use
to do that, not sure if that has been fixed.  I have also noticed
today that communication to the IPMI module is lost when the em
driver initializes the network device and doesn't come back until
the interface is brought up by the OS.  If you have no networking
configured, no network access to the IPMI module. :)

As for the IPMI driver, it is not necessary for the OS to have an
IPMI driver unless you wish to communicate with the card outside
of using the network.  The IPMI driver I am using is in ports/ipmi-kmod
and is a port of the driver in current.  I have no idea if it supports
those cards.

--
DaveD