"scan stuck" with if_iwi(4)

Sam Leffler sam at errno.com
Wed Jul 26 18:07:38 UTC 2006

Henrik Brix Andersen wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 26, 2006 at 09:10:03AM -0700, Sam Leffler wrote:
>> Thanks for your help but understand this is not necessarily a solution;
>> just the addition of a knob.
>
> I know.

Sure, it was for others.

>> The linux driver already used 7 consecutive beacon misses to trigger
>> roaming so I'm not sure why 10 is an improvement but given that
>> adding 300ms (typical) lag makes you happy I wasn't going to argue
>> :)
>
> Actually, it seems the linux driver uses a threshold of 8 missed
> beacons for roaming and a threshold of 24 for disassociation.

Which version are you looking at?  The numbers in iwi are from the code
in linux-2.6.17; maybe it's been changed again in the code on
sourceforge?  The one thing the linux driver does differently is scan
for a new ap _before_ roaming which the current net80211 code cannot do.
 Unfortunately the code to do that has been sitting outside the tree for
a long time and it's unclear if it'll ever come in...

> But you're correct - this only solves the issue of being disassociated
> every 3 minutes; it doesn't solve the problem behind "scan stuck", but
> this problem is not present here anymore since the station is not
> disassociated all the time.
>
> I'll try to address the scan stuck problem when I find some more time.

Thank you.

	Sam