Frozen Processes

Robert Watson rwatson at FreeBSD.org
Fri Jul 21 16:23:46 UTC 2006

On Thu, 20 Jul 2006, Holtor wrote:

> Since upgrading some of our 5.4 servers to the latest 6.1-STABLE we've had
> some processes stuck in the *inp state as listed in 'top'. Those processes
> can't be killed and any resources they use up in terms of bound IP addresses
> or ports can't be freed. Does anyone know what this *inp state means or how
> to fix this problem?

Processes in state '*inp' are waiting for an inpcb lock, suggesting a deadlock
or lock leak.  Can you compile your kernel with invariants, witness, ddb, etc,
and do a bit of kernel debugging?  You can find basic instructions in the
handbook; what I'm particularly interested in is the output of "alltrace",
"show alllocks", "show allpcpu".

Robert N M Watson
Computer Laboratory
University of Cambridge