gmirror problems

Anton Nikiforov anton at nikiforov.ru
Fri Jul 21 13:16:07 UTC 2006

Dear All,
I have the following gmirror configuration:
server1
ggated
ggatec create -u 10 -o rw 192.168.100.110 /dev/da1s1d
gmirror label -v -b split -s 2048 geom1 /dev/da1s1d /dev/ggate10d
ggatec create -u 11 -o rw 192.168.100.110 /dev/da1s1e
gmirror label -v -b split -s 2048 geom2 /dev/da1s1e /dev/ggate11
ggatec create -u 12 -o rw 192.168.100.110 /dev/da1s1f
gmirror label -v -b split -s 2048 geom3 /dev/da1s1f /dev/ggate12
ggatec create -u 13 -o rw 192.168.100.110 /dev/da1s1g
gmirror label -v -b split -s 2048 geom4 /dev/da1s1g /dev/ggate13
ggatec create -u 14 -o rw 192.168.100.110 /dev/da1s1h
gmirror label -v -b split -s 2048 geom5 /dev/da1s1h /dev/ggate14

server 2
ggated

When I'm starting from scratch. (currently by manually running all
commands/daemons)
Everything is fine, until I'm trying to mount gmirrored device from
server2. What I'm doing listed below
1. Unmounting all file systems
2. stooping all devices (all, but i need only one to start it on another
host)
3. stopping daemons
4. Starting daemon on server1
5. Trying to create ggatec device on server2 with the same command, but
with IP of server1
    getting error: ggatec: ggatec: ioctl(/dev/ggctl): Invalid argument.
                ggatec: Exiting.
6. looking into gmirror status device list i have all devices in
DEGRADED state on server 2 (there was no devices in the list while
everything was up)
7. longing into gmirror status device list i have all devices in
COMPLETE state and next time gmirror hangs forever.

Could you please help me or direct to the right manual?
I have found a lot of sources of how to setup (and I'm done with this). But what should i do with failure? How to mount disk on another node or start it after failure?

And one more question: is there any way to get gmirror to re mirror devices before carp interfaces become up? I want to get data mirrored before moving services from backup firewall to main one (in case main was failed)

And one more thing..... after some manipulations with gmirror devices i have server crushed while booting kernel. At the moment it initialize GEOM_MIRROR device - kernel panics.
When i remove the disk that was containing gmirror devices - server just booted normally. But insertion of that disk back and running camcontol rescan all - bring it back to panic... so, i cannot use this disk anymore (i know, that i can rewrite it's last sector on machine without GEOM compiled into the kernel)

--
Best regards,
Anton Nikiforov