Can't run newly-compiled RELENG_6 programs under RELENG_6_1: missing __res_state

M. Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Thu Jul 20 00:13:53 UTC 2006

In message: <44BE8912.9010807 at palisadesys.com>
            Guy Helmer <ghelmer at palisadesys.com> writes:
: We just tried running programs under RELENG_6_1 that were compiled under
: RELENG_6 checked out 2006-07-19, and couldn't because of the undefined
: symbol "__res_state"l, which I would assume is a result of the recent
: MFC of the BIND 9 resolver library.    Is this to be expected?  It will
: cause a bit of a hassle...

It is not officially supported by the project.  You are running a
binary compiled on a newer version of the system on an older version
of the system.  This has sometimes worked in the past, but is outside
the area that's expected to work.  There's been a number of breakages
similar to this in past RELENG branches (there was one in 3.x and a
lot on 4.x).

Having said that, can someone track down the problem in more detail to
see if there might not be something we can do to mitigate the problem
in the older versions?  What is __res_state?

Warner