portupgrade bug: -M no longer works after v2.1.0

Atanas atanas at asd.aplus.net
Wed Jul 12 07:14:44 UTC 2006

Sergey Matveychuk said the following on 7/11/2006 10:08 PM:
> Atanas wrote:
>> Recent portupgrade versions no longer obey the -M command line switch,
>> i.e. any optional arguments to be prepended to each make command.
>>
>> How to reproduce:
>>
>> # portinstall -M "APACHE_HARD_SERVER_LIMIT=1024" www/apache13
>
> Everything work file. Use -m for getting what you want.

For www/apache13 the -m switch could give the same result as -M would,
but I'm not sure whether it's not just a coincidence. The -m switch was
supposed to serve a different purpose:

   -m
   --make-args    Specify arguments to append to each make(1) com-
                  mand line.
   -M
   --make-env     Specify arguments to prepend to each make(1) com-
                  mand line.

I tried testing another port where I used both:

# portinstall -M 'WITH_SYSLOG_FACILITY=local5' -m '-DWITHOUT_IPV6'
mail/courier-imap

With portupgrade-2.0.1_1,1 (the stock 6.1-RELEASE package) it worked.
With portupgrade-2.1.3.2,2 it failed (ignoring the -M part like for
www/apache13 before).

Then I joined both in one -m switch:

# portinstall -m 'WITH_SYSLOG_FACILITY=local5 -DWITHOUT_IPV6'
mail/courier-imap

and the latest portupgrade-2.1.3.2,2 did it just fine.

So, like you suggested, the -m switch seems to cover the functionality
that -M used to provide. I'm not sure however whether this "prepend to
append" conversion would work for all ports. But for these that I use it
appears to work, so I have no problem and will update my scripts to use
-m only.

The no longer working (obsolete?) -M switch would need to be removed
from the man page though.

Thanks,
Atanas