slapd - slow starting

Doug Barton dougb at FreeBSD.org
Tue Jul 11 06:19:42 UTC 2006

Daniel O'Connor wrote:
> On Monday 10 July 2006 19:57, Dominik Zalewski wrote:
>> I'm using FreeBSD 6.1-STABLE on i386. I have installed openldap-server ,
>> pam_ldap , nss_ldap. During booting and when I
>> do /usr/local/etc/rc.d/slapd.sh start , its taking very long time to start.
>> Here is what I'm getting in logfile:
>
> You might want to move the file to /etc/rc.d so it can get started earlier.

This is bad advice for 2 reasons. First, the OP stated that he's using
6.1-Stable, which already has the local_startup changes merged, so all
proper rc.d scripts will be run in the same rcorder, whether they are in the
base (/etc/rc.d) or installed in either /usr/local or /usr/X11R6/etc/rc.d.

Second, this is bad blanket advice to offer without knowing more about the
situation, as even if it "works," at best it will camouflage the real
problem. In this case, it would not have solved the actual problem anyways.

hth,

Doug