MySQL and default memory limits (mysqld: Out of memory)

Mike Jakubik mikej at rogers.com
Sun Jul 9 21:53:28 UTC 2006

Mathieu Arnold wrote:
> | Exactly, its nice being able to see the current values. How else can i
> | see what the values are set to?
>
> As I previously said, it's 512M on i386, and 1G on 64 bit platforms.

Right, this explains why my amd64 system works just fine. Shouldn't this
be a dynamic value based on total amount of ram? Say 70% of RAM, I mean
servers have plenty of RAM nowadays, this seems like an old hard limit,
which many new users will trip over.... I set my value to 805306368, and
mysql seems to be happy now.