MySQL and default memory limits (mysqld: Out of memory)

Mike Jakubik mikej at rogers.com
Sun Jul 9 20:49:33 UTC 2006

I just setup a new system with MySQL 5.0.22, and to my surprise i get
this error in MySQL's log.

/usr/local/libexec/mysqld: Out of memory (Needed 237527040 bytes)
/usr/local/libexec/mysqld: Out of memory (Needed 178145280 bytes)

The system has 1GB of ram, which is plenty for MySQLs configuration (its
using the my-large.cnf, which is tuned for a system of 512MB)

Why am i getting this error? I read somewhere that FreeBSD by default
limits process size to 512MB, however the variables used to tune it do
not seems to exist in FreeBSD-6.1 any more. How can i let MySQL use more
memory?