Misleading "fdisk: Geom not found" in 6.1-RELEASE

Dmitry Pryanishnikov dmitry at atlantis.dp.ua
Tue Jul 4 10:23:32 UTC 2006

Hello!

  I've noticed that using fdisk against ad2 drive gives misleading diagnostics
at the end of execution (there are no mounted partitions at the drive, OS
boot device is ad0):

root at test# uname -r
6.1-RELEASE
root at test# mount|grep ad2
root at test# fdisk -a ad2
******* Working on device /dev/ad2 *******
Partition 2 is marked active
Do you want to change the active partition? [n] y
Supply a decimal value for "active partition" [2] 1
Are you happy with this choice [n] y
Should we write new partition table? [n] y
fdisk: Geom not found
root at test#

One can think that it's an error message, however new partition table
actually gets written to the disk, next fdisk run (and 'hd /dev/ad2', to be
sure) confirms so. What's the reason of this message? fdisk(8) doesn't
show during modification of partition table on system disk (ad0). Modification
succeeds in both cases.

Sincerely, Dmitry
--
Atlantis ISP, System Administrator