NFS Locking Issue

Michel Talon talon at lpthe.jussieu.fr
Tue Jul 4 09:24:20 UTC 2006

> Using Ubuntu as the server I connected a FreeBSD 5.4 and 6-stable box as
> clients on a 100Mb/s network.  The time trial used a dummy 100Meg file
> transfered from the server to the client.

I have similar experiences here. With FreeBSD-6.1 as client (using an Intel
etherexpress card at 100 Mb/s) and FC5 server i see full wire speed for file
transfers via NFS.

> After the 4th of July I intend to test Ubuntu as a client to a FreeBSD
> 6-STABLE server on a gigabit lan to run similar time trials.  I'm
> looking to confirm what I can only suspect at this point, which is that
> the NFS server on FreeBSD is mucked up, but the client is okay.

I have the same impression. The 6.1-RELEASE client seems to work well.
Yesterday i have upgraded my 6.0 (*) box to 6.1 and i have not seen a single
NFS problem after that. Moreover i am using rpc.statd, and rpc.lockd
and they work OK and are really functional.
I have the following sysctl which may have an effect on the problem:
vfs.nfs.access_cache_timeout=5

So it may well be that it is the FreeBSD NFS server code which has problems.

(*) 6.0-RELEASE client definitively does not work OK for me.

--

Michel TALON