NFS Locking Issue

User Freebsd freebsd at hub.org
Sun Jul 2 20:07:13 UTC 2006

On Sat, 1 Jul 2006, Francisco Reyes wrote:

> John Hay writes:
>
>> I only started to see the lockd problems when upgrading the server side
>> to FreeBSD 6.x and later. I had various FreeBSD clients, between 4.x
>> and 7-current and the lockd problem only showed up when upgrading the
>> server from 5.x to 6.x.
>
> It confirms the same we are experiencing.. constant freezing/locking issues.
> I guess no more 6.X for us.. for the foreseable future..

Since there are several of us experiencing what looks to be the same sort
of deadlock issue, I beseech you not to give up ... right now, all we've
been able to get to the developers is virtually useless information
(vmstat and such shows the problem, but it doesn't allow developers to
identify the problem) ...

Is this a problem that you can easily recreate, even on a non-production
machine?  In my case, I have one machine fully configured for debugging,
but, of course, since re-configuring it, it hasn't exhibited the problem
... if most of us get our machines configured properly to give useful
information to the developers to debug this, the faster it will get fixed

My experience with most of the developers is that if you can get into DDB
and give them 'internal traces' of the code, bugs tend to get fixed very
quickly ... vmstat/ps give "external views", more summaries then anything
... its the details "under the hood" that they need ... its not much
different then your auto-mechanic ... try telling him there is a 'knocking
under the hood, please tell me how to fix it, but you can't have my car',
and he'll brush you off ... give him 30 minutes under the hood, and not
only will he have identified it, but he'll probably fix it too ...

----