Recent MFC's causing trouble with network and mouse

Gleb Smirnoff glebius at FreeBSD.org
Tue Jan 31 01:50:51 PST 2006

On Tue, Jan 31, 2006 at 12:38:44PM +0300, Andrew Pantyukhin wrote:
A> On 1/31/06, Gleb Smirnoff <glebius at freebsd.org> wrote:
A> > On Tue, Jan 31, 2006 at 02:27:58AM +0300, Andrew Pantyukhin wrote:
A> > A> I upgraded my world and kernel from about a week's
A> > A> old state to today's source and network (vge) and
A> > A> mouse (ums) stopped working. vge0 has a formerly
A> > A> usual trouble of link state going up and down, while
A> > A> ums0 doesn't move or feel its buttons (tried moused
A> > A> and xorg).
A> > A>
A> > A> Had a look at cvs, didn't see anything suspicious
A> > A> about vge and ums in particular :-( This is about time
A> > A> I learnt how to live with several kernels at hand...
A> >
A> > Yes, vge(4) and ums(4) wasn't agressively edited recently,
A> > so the breakage is somewhere else. Probably you need to
A> > make a binary search to find the commit that caused the problem.
A>
A> Ok, could you please tell me where to learn how to do
A> that?

1) Divide the breakage timeframe by two, to determine the middle.
   (For example 26 Jan - working, 31 Jan - not working. Then
   the middle would be 28 Jan.)
2) Update your sources to the middle.
3) Check whether problem is present?
   Goto 1).

You loop in this cycle until you come to a small timeframe
with a few commits. Then you either determine which one is
problematic logically, or try to apply them one by one. Once
you habe found the problematic commit, you contact its author.

--
Totus tuus, Glebius.
GLEBIUS-RIPN GLEB-RIPE