Problems updating from 5.4 to 6.0

Holmen Øystein Oystein.Holmen at dss.dep.no
Mon Jan 30 01:43:25 PST 2006

I updated my system by changing releng_5_4 to releng_6. During mergemaster i accidentially replaced my master.passwd whith the one from src. At the next startup there were minor problems, but I thought i got them fixed. Later, however, the system froze, and the only option was a forced reboot. I tried fsck, and there seems to be a problem with the 'var' partition. Problem is that the system freezes during fsck (single user). I had to go back to my old kernel, but i have problems with a som programs, mysql, make and a few others. I get "Segmentation fault (core dumped)" messages. The problem now is that "make" failes, so I cannot reinstall my old system on the 5.4 kernel. Using the 6.0 kernel all ports and make works, but the system suddenly freezes. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,
Øystein Holmen