Have the device names for hard discs been changed? (fwd)

Ken Bolingbroke freebsd at bolingbroke.com
Sun Jan 29 20:57:18 PST 2006

On Sun, 29 Jan 2006, Christian Baer wrote:

> After that I started sysinstall and created a new slice and a new
> partition which sysinstall called /dev/ad6s1d - which I expected. But
> after creating the partition, the mount failed, because "no such file or
> directory". And sure enough, ad6s1d did not exist in /dev/:
>
>  jon# ls -l /dev/ad6*
>  crw-r-----  1 root  operator    0,  76 Jan 22 15:23 /dev/ad6
>  crw-r-----  1 root  operator    0,  93 Jan 22 15:00 /dev/ad6c
>  crw-r-----  1 root  operator    0,  96 Jan 22 15:00 /dev/ad6cs1
>  crw-r-----  1 root  operator    0,  92 Jan 22 15:00 /dev/ad6s1
>  crw-r-----  1 root  operator    0,  94 Jan 22 15:00 /dev/ad6s1c

All the other responses on this thread are confusing the 'c' in here with the
normal bsdlabel slice 'c' that covers the whole partition.  This is something
entirely different, a bug in sysinstall...

You start out with a disk, /dev/ad6, and you "dangerously dedicate" it, then
you _should_ have 's1' appended to /dev/ad6 to make /dev/ad6s1.  But for some
reason, it's appending it to /dev/ad6c instead to make /dev/ad6cs1, and then
sysinstall tries to label the disk with /dev/ad6cs1c, etc, and fails.
(Note the _two_ 'c' characters in that device name)

My work around so far is after using fdisk in sysinstall to "dangerously
dedicate" my disk, I exit, then "rm /dev/ad6cs1", then go back to sysinstall
and label the disk, and then it will correctly use /dev/ad6s1.

If I find some time, I might see how to submit a bug report on this...

Ken