nVidia RAID + FreeBSD 6.0

Christian Brueffer chris at unixpages.org
Sun Jan 29 05:02:56 PST 2006

On Sun, Jan 29, 2006 at 04:46:52PM +1030, Daniel O'Connor wrote:
> I am looking at getting a motherboard based on nForce 3 or 4, and I am
> wondering if the RAID will be usable?
>
> I don't mind if I have to use the BIOS to setup/rebuild the array, but I don't
> want to buy a system I can't use the RIAD for at all.
>
> I note from ata-raid.c that there is a meta-data read routine, but no write
> one - I think this means I can use it after it's been defined, but not
> rebuilt or create an array in the first place.

Correct.  The implications of metadata read/write support and a list
of supported metadata format can also be found in ataraid(4).

Be aware though that there have been reports on the lists of data loss
in connection with NVIDIA RAIDs.  This seems to also happen on other
operating systems.

- Christian

--
Christian Brueffer	chris at unixpages.org	brueffer at FreeBSD.org