FreeBSD Update is the binary update solution [Re: HEADS UP: Release schedule for 2006]

Paul Dekkers Paul.Dekkers at surfnet.nl
Thu Jan 26 11:19:27 PST 2006

Hi,

Kai wrote:
> Another ™.02,
>
> Today I'm installing Freebsd 6 from a CD, and I'm having to jump through
> loops to get it up-to-date. Take for example FreeBSD-SA-06:03.cpio.
>
> First I need to install the sources for the complete OS, then run a patch on
> it, and all that for the installation of 1 measily binary, and then keep
> track of the fact that I did this.
>
> Supplying kernel-source patches is fine, but IMHO there is something really
> wrong with this. I don't want to be bothered by the hassle of keeping track
> of which security update I patched in my sourcetree and which not.
>
> So, please pretty please make something that lets us admins just download a
> binary package for an updated cpio, and let something whine if its installed
> already on a system.

You can just use freebsd-update for these binaries (and not for the
kernel), can't you? And then only make buildkernel / installkernel instead.

I did use freebsd-update on machines with a custom / modified kernel -
it just left the kernel untouched, detecting that it was modified, and
update only the rest, like cpio, ee, whatever recent update there was...
(Good to have a choice, and it saves a lot of time in cases where I
don't need or want to build the world.)

Paul

P.S. Maybe freebsd-update could have an option for leaving out kernel
updates? ;-)