panic: kmem_malloc

Michael Butler imb at protected-networks.net
Tue Jan 24 08:24:32 PST 2006

GreenX FreeBSD wrote:
> Hi,
> Has applied this patch, has rebuild the world and also used kernel
> GENERIC with little changes.
> Has tried a little to test, copied on a network in two streams mp3
> collections in total volume about 40G.
> Periodically checked these variable.
> Like it's OK, Big human thanks:)
> Below I bring quotations where variable USED strongly differed from
> zero, but it was not often and she always in the end was nulled.

Yes, when the system is idle and has flushed all outstanding information
to disk, the USED values should always return to zero.

Without the patch, there is a case where the kernel loses track of some
buffers and eventually runs out of memory,

Michael Butler, CISSP
Security Consultant
www.protected-networks.net