Panic on logout in serial console

Eirik Øverby ltning at anduin.net
Mon Jan 23 15:23:08 PST 2006

Hi all,

I'm pretty aggravated right now. At exactly the wrong moment my
spinal reflexes kicked in and I logged out from my serial console
session on an important server. BANG! Kernel panic. This has been
reported numerous times before, so I won't bother giving you the
specifics right now - had to boot it immediately to come back up
anyway, so no time.

Anyway - I was told at some point that this would be fixed in 6.x -
but backporting the fix to 5.x would be hard to impossible.

Guess what: It's still not fixed. And it's a really really (did I say
really?) bad thing, at least as far as I'm concerned.

Any fixes in the pipeline here? I'd be happy to help testing any
patches..

I'm mostly pissed with myself though - I knew about this and usually
never log out. But when under pressure, habits kick in. :P

With very frustrated regards,
/Eirik