panic: mb_dtor_mbuf: M_EXT set

Ion-Mihai Tetcu itetcu at people.tecnik93.com
Mon Jan 23 06:56:55 PST 2006

On Mon, 23 Jan 2006 17:50:25 +0300
Gleb Smirnoff <glebius at FreeBSD.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 23, 2006 at 04:44:53PM +0200, Ion-Mihai Tetcu wrote:
> I> > Probably you hit another incorrect KASSERT in kern_mbuf.c. I have
> I> > removed it some time after the first one. Since X was starting at
> I> > this moment you couldn't be dropped into debugger, and so the
> I> > box was rebooting.
> I>
> I> I don't know if I understand you right, but starting a bare X and
> I> playing around for a while then typing startkde resulted in a
> I> reset.
>
> When panic happens and you have X on the screen, the kernel can't
> switch to syscons. It dumps core if you have KDB_UNATTENDED in
> kernel, in other case it just reboots.

I don't have KDB_UNATTENDED but on this machine the in the last week I
got an automatic dump (on a "kmem_map too small" while running an RC1
kernel) and then the reboot and I was under X (kde); I remember I had
to wait and watch the HDD led w/o being able to do anything else.

--
IOnut - Unregistered ;) FreeBSD "user"

Without freedom of choice there is no creativity.
		-- Kirk, "The return of the Archons", stardate 3157.4