Best release for IBM laptop R51

Torfinn Ingolfsen torfinn.ingolfsen at broadpark.no
Sat Jan 21 17:17:06 PST 2006

On Sat, 21 Jan 2006 13:20:47 -0800
Graham North <northg at shaw.ca> wrote:

> Should I therefore download 6.0-Release and then just cvsup and
> rebuild?? Is this a better option than using 5.4 at this point?

Yes. Use 6.0 (install -release, cvsup to -stable and rebuild).
I recommend using 6.0 for _any_ mobile user, unless it is (for the time
being) 'impossible' to get it running.

6.0 have so many enhancements for mobile users, you wouldn't be that
satisfied if you indstalled anything else on it

In particular: wireless support. No, it doesn't support all cards that
are "out in the wild" but for those who are supported (like those using
the ath driver) you will have whats currently the best wireless option
on FreeBSD.
Also the framework for power saving (dorry, I forget the name) helps you
improve battery life, even if it is still not as good as those on ...
other OS....

And  6.0 has better performance than 5.4, and numerous other
things.

HTH
--
Regards,