Using [Open]LDAP for authentication

Daniel O'Connor doconnor at gsoft.com.au
Fri Jan 20 20:22:31 PST 2006

On Friday 20 January 2006 18:11, Dominique Goncalves wrote:
> I've reported recently a problem with the same symptoms [1] but I use
> this order in my nsswitch.conf "files ldap".
>
> All exemples I found on internet use this order. And if I understand
> correctly, this order means, if a user is not found in files then it
> tries on ldap?

Yes, that is my understanding.

I have also found another problem with using "files ldap" - both sudo and su
don't work. They both appear to fail to find that I am in wheel and hence
won't let me do anything :(

If I have "ldap files" then they work OK.

"ldap files" should work for bootup too except that nss_ldap seems to sleep
trying to reconnect to the ldap server instead of giving up quickly.

are so many of them to choose from."
  -- Andrew Tanenbaum