PXE Installation

Karel Miklav karel.miklav at siol.net
Thu Jan 19 18:36:53 PST 2006

Hi,

I'm trying to install FreeBSD 6.0 to a sub-notebook without
floppy or optical unit. First I tried to install FreeBSD to
a USB memory stick, boot notebook from there and do sysinstall
on a local drive. It didn't work. I was able to partition
the drive but couldn't write any data. Sysinstall installed
everything back to the memory stick no matter what.

Now I'm doing it with PXE, but the problem is basically the
same. I'm missing something but don't know what. There are
some PXE tutorials but they're based on extracting files
from 4.0 floppy images (kern.flp and mfsroot.flp). I tried
to follow the spirit and did a PXE boot from the installation
CD (6.0-RELEASE-i386-bootonly.iso) files. It started well,
displayed the FreeBSD boot menu, listed devices, mounted NFS
share and finally crashed with:

Lookup of /dev for devfs, error 2
init:not found in path ...
panic: no init

Please give me a hand, I'm playing with this for whole week.

--

Regards,
Karel Miklav