Using [Open]LDAP for authentication

Daniel O'Connor doconnor at gsoft.com.au
Thu Jan 19 17:00:30 PST 2006

Hi,
I use OpenLDAP for authentication in conjunction with nss_ldap and pam_ldap
(and samba). I use the RCORDER port option so it put the startup file
in /etc/rc.d.

In 5.4 this worked fine - it started up correctly and in the right place.
However I upgraded to 6.0-STABLE (11/12/05) and when I ran mergemaster I
accidentally told it to delete the rc.d file (doh..) I then upgraded to a
slightly later version of openldap (a newer version of openldap23-server).

The problem now is that OpenLDAP appears to start very late, since lots of
things need to do nss_ldap lookups it means bootup is very glacial as they
timeout.

In the end I hacked up /etc/rc.d/SERVERS to require slapd and took the SERVERS
requirement out of /etc/rc.d/slapd

I wonder if there should be another dummy rc.d file which marks where services
that supply passwd/group/etc information are available and then SERVERS can
depend on that (because a lot of servers need to be able to change to another
user ID after starting).

Then again maybe my nsswitch.conf is broken as I have..
group: ldap files
hosts: files dns
networks: files
passwd: ldap files
shells: files

Maybe I should swap files and ldap around.. Hmm I'll try that and see :)

Even if that does fix it, I think it would be good to be able to run OpenLDAP
as early as practical.

are so many of them to choose from."
  -- Andrew Tanenbaum