[Fixed] Re: ndis0 does not associate since update to RELENG_6

Fabian Keil freebsd-listen at fabiankeil.de
Wed Jan 18 03:37:58 PST 2006

wpaul at FreeBSD.ORG (Bill Paul) wrote:

> > Is there a way I can provide more information?
>
> You haven't said yet what manufacturer/model your access point is.

It's a Netgear WGT624 (Hardwareversion V3H1/Firmwareversion
V1.1.125_1.1.1GR).

I tried to associate ndis0 with wi0 in hostap mode and got the same
results.

> You also haven't said what Windows driver version you're using, but
> you need to cheat a bit to figure that out. I usually do:
>
> % strings -e l foo.sys

> Near the end of the output, there should be a bunch of version
> information, including the vendor name of whoever built the driver
> (in this case Intel). You might try downloading the latest driver
> from Intel. (They have a generic one for their Centrino wireless
> devices.)

The old driver which was shipped with the Laptop:

StringFileInfo
040904B0
Comments
NDIS 5 Miniport Driver for Win2000
CompanyName
Intel
 Corporation
FileDescription
Intel
 Wireless LAN Driver
FileVersion
8010-28 Driver
InternalName
w22n50.SYS
LegalCopyright
Copyright
 Intel
 Corporation 2004
OriginalFilename
w22n50.SYS
ProductName
Intel
 Wireless LAN Adapter
VarFileInfo
Translation

The "new" one I downloaded from Intel today:

StringFileInfo
040904B0
Comments
NDIS 5.1 Miniport Driver
CompanyName
Intel
 Corporation
FileDescription
Intel
 Wireless LAN Driver
FileVersion
9003-9 Driver
InternalName
w29n51.SYS
LegalCopyright
Copyright
 Intel
 Corporation 2004
OriginalFilename
w29n51.SYS
ProductName
Intel
 Wireless LAN Adapter
VarFileInfo
Translation

> You also haven't said what sort of laptop this is. Wouldn't hurt to
> know that either.

IBM ThinkPad R51 UN0K6GE.

> Unfortunately, this is the sort of thing that can only be debugged
> with the system sitting in front of me. I can't do it by remote
> control, and I can't know exactly what information to ask you. I have
> to experiment, and I can't do that from here.
>
> You should turn WEP off completely, make sure the AP is set for open
> authentication mode, and try getting it to authenticate without WEP
> first. It's one less variable to worry about. Try using the following:
>
> # ifconfig ndis0 ssid "" up
>
> # ifconfig ndis0 ssid "yourssid" bssid <BSSID of your AP> up

Specifying the bssid is the solution.

ifconfig ndis0 ssid ec60bfg3b4 bssid <BSSID> wepkey 1:0x<WEPKEY>\
deftxkey 1 wepmode on up

Works with the new and the old driver and with both APs.

fk at TP51 ~ $ifconfig ndis0
ndis0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
        inet6 fe ... 7500%ndis0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x3
        inet 192.168.0.32 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 192.168.0.255
        ether 00 ... 00
        media: IEEE 802.11 Wireless Ethernet autoselect (OFDM/54Mbps)
        status: associated
        ssid ec60bfg3b4 channel 11 bssid 00:...
        authmode OPEN privacy ON deftxkey 1 wepkey 1:104-bit txpowmax
100 protmode CTS

Thanks for your time Bill.

Fabian
--