hptmv, Verify a raid5 array panics

Steven Hartland killing at multiplay.co.uk
Tue Jan 17 18:17:49 PST 2006

Their support is useless and I will never use their cards again
we have multiple 5 * 400GB disk arrays on 1820a's and they
all fail when doing rsync's dropping one disk then a second
crashing the box. Online rebuild crashes the machine, offline
( BIOS ) works. The performance is good but of no consequence
if normal usage is not possible.

I've looked though the code and can find no obvious issues
the machine always panics after multiple drives have been
dropped as though a drive is failing but full diagnostics have
been performed and there are no issues,always seems to
be drive 4 which is dropped first here, even when the disks
are swapped round.

I suspect a firmware or hardware issue under high load /
queue length which results in an DMA timeout type error.

Highpoint support "raised it with their engineering department"
but I've never heard anything back even after months and many
calls to their main support line in the US from the UK
i.e. they binned the problem.

Very disappointed and I'll never use their devices again.

    Steve