newfs_msdos onto an image file

Andrea Campi andrea+freebsd_stable at webcom.it
Sun Jan 15 05:14:07 PST 2006

On Sun, Jan 15, 2006 at 12:49:51PM +0000, Brian Candler wrote:
> Furthermore, why do I still have to pretend that the device is a 1440K
> floppy disk? If I remove -f 1440 I get:
>
> # newfs_msdos -h 64 -u 32 -s 256000 -a 125 -F 16 -b 4096 -c 8 /dev/md0
> newfs_msdos: Cannot get number of sectors, Operation not supported

Just a wild guess: have you tried using fdisk? Pretending it is a floppy
is probably working because real floppies don't have a partition table,
whereas all kind of HDs in the DOS world have them.

Try creating just a single slice to cover all disk, and you should be
ready to newfs it.

Bye,
	Andrea

--