Fast releases demand binary updates..

Jo Rhett jrhett at svcolo.com
Wed Jan 11 23:37:17 PST 2006

On Sat, Jan 07, 2006 at 01:05:13PM +0100, Dag-Erling Sm?rgrav wrote:
> So *you're* the AC that keeps predicting the death of *BSD on /.!

I have no idea what you are referring to.  Not something I would say anyway.

> > I don't bother writing up patches for FreeBSD because every time I
> > do they sit in a PR and get ignored for several years.  Then someone
> > that does have commit rights makes their own patch (which often is
> > less useful) but they own it and the best I've ever succeeded at was
> > convincing them to put some of the ideas from my patch into their
> > code.
>
> Every single time?
>
> There are five PRs with your name on in GNATS (assuming you and
> <jrhett at meer.net> are one and same)
>
> ports/76013 - patch committed after four months
> ports/76019 - superceded after a month

One was committed, the other superceded.  The first change only works if
the latter is commited.  Thus, the port remains broken and we keep using
localized patches to fix it.

The 'superceding port' is a different apache module that has different
limitations.  There is no reason not to commit the latter and fix this
particular port, but I can't convince anyone to do that.

> ports/76724 - patch committed after a week
> docs/87445 - immediately adopted by a committer, being worked on

I received no e-mail notification of either.  My posts about said bugs to
the appropriate mailing lists garnered no responses other than "put in GNATS"

> Oh, how we have wronged you!  Please let us know how we may correct
> this grievous injustice!

Nice sarcasm.  Doesn't change that these were ignored, or that other
proposed patches gathered zero responses so I stopped bothering to submit
them.  As I said, I've learned that "no response" means "will be ignored".

--
Jo Rhett
senior geek