Fast releases demand binary updates.. (Was: Release schedule for 2006)

Jo Rhett jrhett at svcolo.com
Wed Jan 11 23:08:17 PST 2006

On Sat, Jan 07, 2006 at 06:44:36AM +1100, Peter Jeremy wrote:
> In general, volunteer projects have a surfeit of ideas and a shortage
> of real implementations.  The Project is never going to agree to import
> an idea without some substance.

Always true, and I wouldn't expect less.  But we've covered the topic of
wasting time writing code without buyin.

> >consensus that (a) the project has interest and (b) what flavors would be
> >acceptable to the existing groups - are both necessary for this project to
> >even mumble it's first line of code.

> In which case you need to move this thread to freebsd-arch where these
> sort of issues are discussed.  You need to clearly define your goals
> and suggest a design to meet them.  If your idea has merit, you'll be
> able to convince at least one committer to work with you to implement
> your design.

Yes, if it even gets that far.

But you're putting the cart before the horse.

When Scott posted the release schedule, I was not offering to build this
for him (although I am interested enough to try/help/etc)  I was suggesting
that perhaps this issue deserves a priority focus, given the escalation of
releases.

You're saying "If you want to go to war in Iraq then hire a military" and
I'm saying "I was just trying to see if there was agreement that Saddam
is a bad guy" and more specifically "I have no desire to rush into Iraq
without consensus" ;-)

--
Jo Rhett
senior geek