ucom.ko and palm pilot m500

Carsten "CC" Wald carsten at betaversion.net
Fri Jan 6 08:44:36 PST 2006

Hello List,

I own an old palm pilot -- a m500 model -- and have the following problem when
I try to sync under 6-STABLE.

Whenever I pressed the HotSync-Button of that device -- connected to my
6-STABLE box via a USB cable, the pilot was recognized as a ugen0 device.
Using the pilot-xfer program then failed. After some investigation on
pilot-link.org I learned, that Palm devices work with FreeBSD over USB only
with the ucom driver (while for those of Handspring, the generic ugen driver
is sufficient). -- Well, I made sure, that ucom.ko was loaded, but the device
was still detected by the ugen.ko-module instead.  Even after unloading the
generic driver, the ucom driver still wasn't able to detect the palm pilot.
Just a few minutes ago, I cvsuped the kernel sources and rebuilt and installed
the kernel along with the modules (and rebooted), but it still doesn't work.

Am I the only one with that problem (and such an old pilot)? -- I have
searched the FreeBSD documentation, pilot-link docu, etc.. but didn't find
anything.

Is it possible to somehow force the ucom driver to "accept" the pilot, or give
him some hints?

Thanks in advance.

--
bye