6.0 on Dell 1850 with DRAC4 management card?

Marian Hettwer MH at kernel32.de
Fri Jan 6 08:29:28 PST 2006

Ralph Hempel wrote:

>> I've never enabled the DRAC card on any dell I have that came with
>> them...
>

> Hmmm. The DRAC card can save you a long drive sometimes. You actually
> get to look at the hardware boot process and can even adjust
> BIOS settings if needed. To get to a FreeBSD console, I think that
> the OS actually needs to boot.
>
> The DRAC lets you control the server BEFORE the OS is even loaded,
> all through a browser interface.

Well, you can do that too, if you enable Console Redirection to Serial
Port in the BIOS. The old DELL 1550 and 1650 were definetly capable of
doing so. I don't know about the 1850, but I assume they can redirect
the console too.
Usually the BIOS accepts VT100 or ANSI input. Of course you want to go
with VT100. And from your workstation:

export TERM=vt100
ssh user:server at console-server

and of you go.
The only thing missing would be hardware power down. if that can be done
via DRAC, that'll be an advantage :)

- Marian