Fast releases demand binary updates.. (Was: Release schedule for 2006)

Jo Rhett jrhett at svcolo.com
Thu Jan 5 01:10:44 PST 2006

On Thu, Dec 22, 2005 at 09:08:13PM -0600, Matthew D. Fuller wrote:
> Having done full OS upgrades a number of times, I can't remember the
> last time it took more than 5 or 10 minutes (during most of which the

When the servers are in 17 countries around the world, with no CD-ROM
access.   You keep missing the point about "not your home computer".

> > Back to the point, the comments aren't "bad".  Your idea that binary
> > operating system upgrades from ISO are "easier" demonstrates that
> > you're talking about home computers, not production servers.
>
> Oh, no.  Heck, I find that upgrades from SOURCE are "easier".  In
> fact, just last month I bought my first CD burner, so it wasn't until
> a few weeks ago that I even burned my first ISO (and that, just to
> test the burner and figure out how to do it), and I've never booted or
> installed off one.  For small groups of servers, I NFS mount
> installworlds, and for larger groups, I rdist out binaries.  But it
> always comes from source.

You can't do source installations on flash-based systems.
You can't do NFS across the Internet
	(we don't even have RPC working at all on production systems)

--
Jo Rhett
senior geek