OK - I'm stumped - where IS stable? Sorry if it seems like a dumb question but I looked in the handbook...

Mitch (Bitblock) mitch at bitblock.com
Mon Jan 2 10:08:49 PST 2006

Hey David!

[Mitch says:]
> The handbook document should point to
> ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/snapshots/ instead (I think there's a
> problem report with a patch under review).
>
> Yes, the -STABLE branch exists. That's how you would patch a 6.0-RELEASE
> system: using cvsup(1) to follow the STABLE branch changes. You'll
> probably want
>
> ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/snapshots/Dec_2005/6.0-STABLE-SNAP010-
> i386-disc1.iso
>
> or
>
> ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/snapshots/Dec_2005/6.0-STABLE-SNAP010-
> i386-bootonly.iso

[Mitch says:] Awesome! That's exactly what I wanted - I figure with those I
can keep on top of things and see if my hardware starts working with 6.0 at
some point...

> Generally speaking, the snapshots will work. Yes, you should be able to
> just download and install them. However, because they're taken from a
> continually-moving branch, and aren't subject to a code freeze and
> rigorous review, they might have minor issues. It's unlikely, but if a
> snapshot explodes your computer, steals your children and wipes your
> credit cards, You Have Been Warned.

[Mitch says:] I understand that - am willing to take the risk - not
production really - just want to see if my hardware will function in the
future - I filed a PR about the regression, but I've heard that they can be
difficult to track down - particularly as there's not much chance the dev
team have the same hardware combination...

> I hope you have some luck with the snapshots - what hardware specifically
> isn't working? This list or freebsd-questions at freebsd.org may be able to
> help you.

There was a thread a while back, and I posted a PR too (though some said
prematurely, it was the best I could do at the time...) - Mark Linimon
flagged it as a regression...

RE: (i386/88610) Problem with booting FreeBSD 6.0 bootonly.iso -5.4works
fine

Basically the system works with 5.4, but crashes during boot with 6.0 - ONLY
if I use a multiport (any brand) PCI network card in it - a single NIC is
ok... how's that for an odd ball eh?

Thanks for the help - downloading now!

m/