SSH login takes very long time...sometimes

Rostislav Krasny rosti.bsd at gmail.com
Tue Feb 28 14:47:25 PST 2006

On Wed, 01 Mar 2006 00:28:14 +0900
Hajimu UMEMOTO <ume at freebsd.org> wrote:

> Hi,

> yar> I finally spared some time to test your recent changes and found
> yar> that the resolver still would retry using the first, and only the
> yar> first, domain on the `search' list when the nameserver was down,
> yar> which effectively led to another kind of request doubling.
>
> yar> A similar effect was observed when a `domain' line was specified
> yar> in resolv.conf in place of `search'.
>
> yar> Is there a real reason to retry with a different domain when the
> yar> nameserver doesn't respond at all?
>
> It seems yet another issue.  The errors returned by res_querydomain()
> are not handled uniformity.  Please try following patch:

Thank you! After applaying that additional patch a number of DNS
queries to unreachable name servers has decreased. Now, with three
unreachable name servers in resolv.conf and previously patched (my and
your patches) ftpd(8), I can successfully login to this machine by even
not patched ftp(1) from other FreeBSD 6.1-pre