RELENG_6: serial console drops back from 115200 to 9600 baud

Ruslan Ermilov ru at freebsd.org
Mon Feb 27 02:17:36 PST 2006

On Sun, Feb 26, 2006 at 08:26:42PM +0100, Dimitry Andric wrote:
> Ian Dowse wrote:
> >> Okay, but why did 4.x through 5.x through 6.x (these have all been on
> >> this particular machine) always boot with 115200 until now? :)
>
> > They probably used 9600 for the boot blocks, and then switched to
> > 115200 when /boot/loader started, so you didn't notice. Now the
> > settings from the boot blocks get used by /boot/loader.
>
> Ah, but this still means that /boot/loader used to use a hardcoded
> default specified in /etc/make.conf, and now it doesn't honor that anymore.

Have you checked with documentation?

: comconsole_speed
:           Defines the speed of the serial console (i386 and amd64 only).
:           If the previous boot stage indicated that a serial console is
:           in use then this variable is initialized to the current speed
:           of the console serial port.  Otherwise it is set to 9600 unless
:           this was overridden using the BOOT_COMCONSOLE_SPEED variable
:           when loader was compiled.  Changes to the comconsole_speed
:           variable take effect immediately.

> > Boot blocks need to be installed manually - installworld installs
> > the boot blocks as files in /boot/boot{1,2}, but when booting, it
> > is the boot blocks in the first 8k of the slice that are used, not
> > the /boot/boot{1,2} files.
>
> Okay.  I still think it would be wiser to just reinstall them during
> installworld, just to be sure there's no incompatibilities...

It's not always possible to do: there can be different boot locations,
the root FS can be a remote one, it can be a diskless system, etc.

Cheers,
--
Ruslan Ermilov
ru at FreeBSD.org