RELENG_6: serial console drops back from 115200 to 9600 baud

Ed Maste emaste at phaedrus.sandvine.ca
Sat Feb 25 18:04:36 PST 2006

On Sun, Feb 26, 2006 at 02:40:17AM +0100, Dimitry Andric wrote:

> Ian Dowse wrote:
> > The problem may be that your boot blocks were compiled with
> > BOOT_COMCONSOLE_SPEED set to 9600. Try reinstalling them with e.g.
> > `disklabel -B ad0s1' (make sure you get the right device name -
> > it should be the slice that you boot from).
>
> Okay, but why did 4.x through 5.x through 6.x (these have all been on
> this particular machine) always boot with 115200 until now? :)

Because now the loader has new behaviour of using the existing speed
if the previous stage indicates a serial port is in use, instead
of blindly jamming in a compile-time setting.

The loader should use the following, in order of priority:

comconsole_speed= in /boot/loader.conf
existing speed, if comconsole is already set by previous stage
BOOT_COMCONSOLE_SPEED compile time default

> Anyway, I also thought that installworld would take care of installing
> any updated boot blocks, if necessary.  I'll manually install them and
> see what I end up with.

It doesn't seem that way.  They'll be placed in /boot, but not
in the mbr or slice I think.

-ed