SSH login takes very long time...sometimes

Chuck Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Sat Feb 25 05:57:56 PST 2006

Hi--

Hajimu UMEMOTO wrote:
[ ... ]
> For ftp.c.diff, how about considering adding new option for timeout?
> However, I'm still in doubt.  I cannot think it is usual situation
> that there are unreachable IP addresses in /etc/resolv.conf.

Certainly that situation is not "usual", in the sense that people normally try
to put usable resolvers into /etc/resolv.conf.  However, it's reasonably common
that some sort of network problem like a downed network link, firewall, or
router would cause all non-local nameservers to become unreachable.

It would be nice if local ftp still worked OK if the local machines were in
/etc/hosts or otherwise resolvable (YP/NIS? multicast DNS? NetBIOS naming?)...

--
-Chuck