mount_smbfs trouble after cvsup

Gavin Atkinson gavin.atkinson at ury.york.ac.uk
Wed Feb 22 03:05:03 PST 2006

On Tue, 2006-02-21 at 19:29 +0800, Tai-hwa Liang wrote:
> On Tue, 21 Feb 2006, Bachilo Dmitry wrote:
> > I've cvsuped from 6.0 to 6.1-PRERELEASE and now I can't mount NT's shares with
> > password. It worked fine before, but after cvsup i get
> > mount_smbfs: unable to open connection: syserr = Authentication error
> > and in /var/log/messages I get
> > Feb 21 14:51:24 notebook kernel: netsmb_dev: loaded
> > Feb 21 14:51:27 notebook kernel: smb_encrypt: password encryption is not
> > available
> > Feb 21 14:51:27 notebook kernel: smb_ntencrypt: password encryption is not
> > available
> >
> > As far as I see, there is no option in mount_smbfs to disable password
>
>    "options NETSMBCRYPTO" in kernel configuartion file.
>
> > encryption, so I'm just stuck, what should I do?
> > Thanks in advance.
>
> http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-current/2006-January/059823.html

Is there a reason this change was made?  And is there a reason why
NETSMBCRYPTO is not in GENERIC?  To me, it seems that breaking smbfs
between releases within 6.x violates POLA... I suspect a large number of
people (myself included) have always used smbfs for passworded shares
and it's "just worked".

Moved to stable, where it belongs.

Gavin