IBM LS20 and a 6.1-BETA1 install

Antony Mawer fbsd-stable at mawer.org
Mon Feb 20 00:15:59 PST 2006

On 20/02/2006 10:18 AM, Damian Gerow wrote:
> I've been trying to coax 6.1-BETA1 onto an IBM LS20 Blade (885055U), with a
> few problems.  I've turned up a number of other posts about people who have
> had the same problem, but nobody seems to be able to get it working.
>
> On boot, the keyboard works in the boot menu (beastie.4th), but once the
> kernel probes the hardware, it stops working.  So when the install screen
> comes up, there's not a whole lot you can do.
>
> All of the keyboard, mouse, floppy, and CD-ROM are wired into the blade via
> USB1.1.  Note that the difference between the LS20 and HS20 is that the L
> series are Opteron-based, and the H series are Pentium-based.

This may be something you have already tried, but I mention it just in
case you have not -- can you boot if you select the "Boot FreeBSD with
USB keyboard" item from the menu? Or does it not appear (reading the
beastie.4th, it appears to be i386 only, so if you're using an x86-64
release then you may not see it)?

All it appears to do is set:

     hint.atkbd.0.flags=0x1

so perhaps you can try setting this manually and see if it helps.

-Antony