RELENG_6 weird '..' permission troubles

Nicolas Rachinsky fbsd-stable-0 at ml.turing-complete.org
Sun Feb 19 04:27:51 PST 2006

* Yar Tikhiy <yar at comp.chem.msu.su> [2006-02-19 13:58 +0300]:
> This looks like a file-a-PR case if you are sure you didn't overlook
> anything.  To the best of my knowledge, the underlying mount point
> permissions should affect nothing since the FS was mounted.  But
> you didn't show us output from "ls -la /" so please judge by yourself.

This behaviour is known and documented.

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=mount&apropos=0&sektion=0&manpath=FreeBSD+6.0-RELEASE+and+Ports&format=html

     After a successful mount, the permissions on the original mount point
     determine if .. is accessible from the mounted file system.  The minimum
     permissions for the mount point for traversal across the mount point in
     both directions to be possible for all users is 0111 (execute for all).

Nicolas

--
http://www.rachinsky.de/nicolas