Freebsd 6.1 and Palm Tungsten C

Jim Pingle lists at pingle.org
Sat Feb 18 19:15:40 PST 2006

Viktorija wrote:
> I have following problem. I have Palm Tungsten C and FreeBSD 6.1 on my laptop. I'm trying to synhronize my palm with freebsd, but without any success. What i did:
> in kernel added devices:
> ucom and uvisor.
> in usbd.conf:
> device "Palm Handheld"
>          devname "ucom[0-9]+"
>          vendor 0x0830
>          product 0x0060
>          release 0x0100
>          attach "ln -fs /dev/ucom0 /dev/pilot; chmod 666 /dev/ucom0"
>
> When i press sync button on palm, i see in messages:
> Feb 19 02:50:29 blue kernel: ucom0: Palm, Inc. Palm Handheld, rev 1.00/1.00, addr 2
>
> And in /dev directory i get cuaU0 and ttyU0, but not ucom0.
> Ok, i saw in one message, that now ttyU0 should be used instead of ucom0, but when i'm trying:
>  pilot-xfer -p /dev/ttyU0 -i palm/softs/Tube/Tube2.prc
> nothing happens...
>
> What i'm doing wrong?
> Why ucom0 doesn't exist?
> Maybe someone got similar problems?

I have successfully been using my Tungsten C with 6.1-PRERELEASE, I have my
sync software talk directly to /dev/cuaU0 and it just works, once I got the
permissions straightened out. I have used pilot-xfer as well as KPilot/Kontact.

I did not add any entries in usbd.conf, but I did experiment with
devfs.rules for setting the permissions.

Jim