2 NICs, SMP, weird kernel ARP messages

Miguel Ramos miguel at anjos.strangled.net
Fri Feb 17 07:24:27 PST 2006

Sex, 2006-02-17 às 15:43 +0100, Thomas Franck escreveu:
> > Unless you take special measures (ng_fec?), one does not
> > normally connect two NICs on one machine to the same collision
> > domain.
>
> Hmm.. don't really see a problem with that.. two NICs with
> diffent IP on the same subnet.. binding say, a webserver and a
> database to different NICs... takes load off the single NIC,
> giving 100MBit to each service...

If they're on the same collision domain, then you're not giving 100Mbps
to each service, that would be good. That's why it usually doesn't make
sense (I understand that this is a temporary configuration...).

You can have two IP addresses on the same NIC anyway...

> > By default, some other hardware (like Suns), will even use the
> > same MAC address for every NIC on the machine....
>
> Uhh.. that's nasty.. :)

Not so nasty, since there's really no point in having more than one NIC
on the same segment. And the log message is justifiable.

Sorry for my intrusion.

Miguel