BETA1 announcement

Oliver Fromme olli at lurza.secnetix.de
Wed Feb 15 01:15:21 PST 2006

Kris Kennaway <kris at obsecurity.org> wrote:
 > Oliver Fromme wrote:
 > > I tried loading a 6.1-BETA1 kernel (the default GENERIC
 > > kernel from the BETA1 distribution) on a system with
 > > the /boot directory (including /boot/loader) from a 4.x
 > > installation.  To be exact, it's 4.9-RELEASE.
 > >
 > > It didn't work.  The kernel didn't even print the copyright
 > > line or anything else, it just hung.  Is that expected
 > > behaviour?
 >
 > Yes, I think so.
 >
 > One problem is that the hints will be missing, so you won't get a
 > console.

Ah, I forgot about the hints file and that it is required
for console.  Thanks for pointing that out.

 > If you compiled them into your kernel you might have had
 > better luck, but it's still not supported.

Well, I didn't compile anything.  I just took the install
kernel from the BETA1 distributiin (which is compiled from
GENERIC, I assume).

Best regards
   Oliver

"With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.  However, this
is not necessarily a good idea.  It is hard to be sure where
they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting
under them as they fly overhead." -- RFC 1925