kernel panic on 6.1-PRERELEASE with Lexar Jumpdrive2

Joseph Olatt joji at eskimo.com
Mon Feb 13 19:44:12 PST 2006

Hello,

I've been having kernel panics when I use one particular USB flash drive
(LEXAR MEDIA JUMPDRIVE2, rev 2.00/1.25, addr 2) with FreeBSD
6.1-PRERELEASE (See [1] below). All I have to do to get the kernel to
panic is to insert and remove the drive from the USB port 2 or 3 times
(without mounting the drive. Entries in /dev do not get created. See [2]
for error I get when I insert the drive and [3] for the error I get when
I remove the drive.)

This problem happens only if the "ehci" device is enabled in the kernel
(GENERIC has it enabled by default). If I comment out the "ehci" device
and use only the "uhci" device, then I get a device entry in /dev and I'm
able to mount the flash drive just fine and, insert and remove as many
times as I like without any problems.

So I suspect that it is a problem with the "ehci" driver. Unfortunately
I'm not being able to get a crash dump as the system starts dumping and
then freezes.

I wanted to see if there is anybody on the list who has experienced
anything similar.

I have 2 other newer flash drives and they seem to work fine. The system
seems to panic only when I use this particular flash drive. The flash
drive is empty and I'm able to mount it fine if I use only the "uhci"
driver.

regards,
joseph

[1]:
FreeBSD 6.1-PRERELEASE #0: Sun Feb 12 21:39:40 CST 2006 root at knowledge:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC

[2]:
umass1: LEXAR MEDIA JUMPDRIVE2, rev 2.00/1.25, addr 2
da4 at umass-sim1 bus 1 target 0 lun 0
da4: <Generic STORAGE DEVICE 1.25> Removable Direct Access SCSI-0 device
da4: 40.000MB/s transfers
da4: 125MB (256000 512 byte sectors: 64H 32S/T 125C)
(da4:umass-sim1:1:0:0): Synchronize cache failed, status == 0x10, scsi
status == 0x0
umass1: Invalid CSW: sig 0x53555355 should be 0x53425355

[3]:
umass0: at uhub0 port 5 (addr 2) disconnected
(da0:umass-sim0:0:0:0): lost device
(da0:umass-sim0:0:0:0): removing device entry
umass0: detached
umass0: LEXAR MEDIA JUMPDRIVE2, rev 2.00/1.25, addr 2
umass0: BBB reset failed, IOERROR
umass0: BBB bulk-in clear stall failed, IOERROR
umass0: BBB bulk-out clear stall failed, IOERROR
[...]
(da0:umass-sim0:0:0:0): got CAM status 0x4
(da0:umass-sim0:0:0:0): fatal error, failed to attach to device
(da0:umass-sim0:0:0:0): lost device
umass0: BBB reset failed, IOERROR
umass0: BBB bulk-in clear stall failed, IOERROR
umass0: BBB bulk-out clear stall failed, IOERROR
umass0: BBB reset failed, IOERROR
umass0: BBB bulk-in clear stall failed, IOERROR
umass0: BBB bulk-out clear stall failed, IOERROR
umass0: BBB reset failed, IOERROR
umass0: BBB bulk-in clear stall failed, IOERROR
umass0: BBB bulk-out clear stall failed, IOERROR
umass0: BBB reset failed, IOERROR
umass0: BBB bulk-in clear stall failed, IOERROR
umass0: BBB bulk-out clear stall failed, IOERROR
umass0: BBB reset failed, IOERROR
umass0: BBB bulk-in clear stall failed, IOERROR
umass0: BBB bulk-out clear stall failed, IOERROR
(da0:umass-sim0:0:0:0): removing device entry
Opened disk da0 -> 5