Connectivity issue with FreeBSD6.0

Oliver Brandmueller ob at e-Gitt.NET
Sat Feb 11 00:16:01 PST 2006

Hi.

On Thu, Feb 09, 2006 at 08:25:47PM -0500, Kevin Lamothe wrote:
> Hey there, I'm running BSD6 on my servers.
>
> One problem I'm having is the webserver keeps randomly losing
> connections to the SQL server which is on another box.
>
> From the tcpdump logs it looks like the packets are not reaching the
> sql server, I've talked to one of the admins at the dc and they're
> saying a few other freebsd6 boxes are having this issue.
>
> Any ideas on this weird issue?

I had something, that looked quite like that, but it turned out, it had
nothing to do with FreeBSD or the network.

Are you using MySQL from through JDBC? There's a bug in JDBC, so that
the driver does not notice, if the server closes a connection due to
timeout. So have a look how long the idle timeout on the MySQL server is
and be sure to set the timeout of the JDBC pooled connections to a value
lower than that (or disable timeouts on the MySQL server).

Just an idea, since your description does not tell too much about the
surrounding environment.

- Oliver

--
| Oliver Brandmueller | Offenbacher Str. 1  | Germany       D-14197 Berlin |
| Fon +49-172-3130856 | Fax +49-172-3145027 | WWW:   http://the.addict.de/ |