Broken kde3 from ports, not downloading what it's supposed to. Will not compile; need advice please.

Greg Barniskis nalists at scls.lib.wi.us
Thu Feb 9 15:03:05 PST 2006

Ryan R wrote:
> Hi there everybody
>
> I am a novice user, and I just did a FreeBSD-6.0 MINIMAL install
>
> I did all the basic stuff, like cvsup'ed my ports and
> standard-supfile, so I'm synced to 6.1-PRERELEASE, and I applied my
> kernel patches, rebuilt world, and even compiled Xorg from scratch
> along with some basic window managers until kde3 was going to be
> ready..  But I've encountered a problem :(

Well, not bad for a novice!

You've gotten good advice from others on this particular issue but I
feel compelled to add two cents. As a novice, you might certainly
find it less troublesome/exasperating to track a less volatile
security release branch (e.g. RELENG_6_0) instead of -STABLE
(RELENG_6), and to install your ports applications from packages
rather than compiling these yourself from source. The differences in
these approaches to system and ports management are pretty well
described in the Handbook as well as the archives of this list.

However, if you're trying to be on the bleeding edge on purpose
because you want the experience (including the occasional headaches)
gained from compiling things from scratch, then more power to you,
of course. For most purposes though, installing ports from packages
is just fine.

South Central Library System (SCLS)
Library Interchange Network (LINK)
<gregb at scls.lib.wi.us>, (608) 266-6348